My grandma used to make these at Christmas time, along with her homemade mince pies, Christmas cake, and her legendary Coronation Chicken (with Turkey) for Boxing Day! The smell of rum and chocolate together, what a delight!
We hope you enjoy the truffles as much as we did.
Ingredients (makes 36):
100g plain chocolate
1 tablespoon rum
Yolks of 2 standard eggs
25g ground almonds
25g stale cake crumbs
225g sifted icing sugar
Drinking chocolate or chocolate strands
- Break up chocolate, and put with butter into a basin, standing over saucepan of hot water.
- Leave until both have melted, stirring occasionally.
- Add rum and egg yolks, and mix in well.
- Work in ground almonds, cake crumbs and icing sugar. Move the mixture to a plate and leave in the cool until firm (takes about 1.5 hours).
- Split the mixture into 36 equal pieces and roll into balls.
- Toss the balls in the drinking chocolate/chocolate strands until they are evenly coated.
- Put into paper sweet cases and serve.
These also make lovely homemade gifts for friends and family.